- Welcome to my blog...

Monday, June 23, 2008

Thousand Layer Cake & Chilly Prawns! Once again!


At auntie Irene’s house on Saturday, we each made another round of kueh lapis after she has done with her sweet bun baking using her new Turbo Mira oven. I cut a loaf of it to share with my eldest brother's family. Besides thanking auntie Irene for her guidance, also have to thank L-5 for helping us to watch the oven closely during the baking process.

The kueh lapis is really very delicious, although sinfully rich! Hahaha…
Have told auntie Irene that I got to leave early on Sunday for an evening party with my work team to celebrate one of my colleagues’ new studio opening. At first I had in mind to bake a kueh lapis as my pot-luck food, however, one colleague would be buying a cake. Someone requested for fruit tarts, but auntie Irene thought it would be quite challenging as I’ve not made it before. Pondering if I should go ahead to bring the kueh lapis or bring fruits there…. Thanks to auntie Irene for her thoughts and to L-5 for his brilliant suggestion to bring the chilli prawns there. My initial concern about the gravy was overruled.


Besides preparing my chilli prawns ingredients, together with Nicole, we also prepared a mouth-watering new dish with the new Turbo gas cooker, 3 of us eat them up, before I continue with frying the chilli prawns. Hahaha…this is the first time I left auntie Irene’s house in broad day light….only quarter past 5 o’clock in the afternoon!
This is the chilli prawns I packed for the evening’s party. I also brought along some cut French loaf for my colleagues to dip into the tasty sauce. As expected, they sang praises for this delicious chilli prawn dish, 大家都吃得津津有味,赞不绝口! They simply couldn’t help to eat more of the prawns and scoop more of the sauce.

非常感谢auntie Irene帮忙我精挑细选最新鲜的虾和准备用料and for sharing her excellent culinary skills and superb recipes.

15 comments:

Eileen said...

Margaret,

这次你用了英文书写,不过下面还有一些华文字。嘻嘻!喔,好诱人的千层糕和辣椒虾。Wow...really shiok!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

see the prawns make me hungry liao... hehe...

ds said...

Wow! very beautiful kuih lapis. Fruit tarts leh? 没做噢。。。

Oink Oink said...

Margaret,

The chilli prawns look so delicious, is it spicy enough? I love those that make me sweat alot when eating them, that's super shiok!
The kuih lapis look so well done when you did it in A.Irene hse,the oven really play a big part hor.

:-D

Margaret said...

hi Eileen

嘻嘻~~这次用了英文书写,是想可以打得快一点,可以早点睡觉,因为今天工作时无法上部落格。。。昨晚和同事聚会回家时感觉到特别累,可能是因为吃得太饱,加上最近咳嗽。。。是啊,千层糕好诱人,辣椒虾也really shiok! 看我的同事们爱不释手,一只接一只的吃。。。

Hi Sharon

hehehe... when are u going to cook again with the prawn shells intact?

hi ds

thank you for your compliment! hahaha...Fruit tarts ah, I haven't tried making it yet...need to practise first...have you made it before?

hi Oink Oink

The chilli prawns were indeed delicious, though not very spicy so that it is generally acceptable to all, also don't really know my colleagues threshold for chilli.

Yeah, we know u love those fiery hot chilli that make u sweat alot when eating them, next time if u have a chance to cook it, u should use chilli padi instead of the normal big chilli, hahaha...

U are right, besides using the right oven, understanding the oven and adjusting to the right heat and timing also help.

Unknown said...

Margaret,

So far how is your oven and did you understanding the oven and adjusting to the right heat now? Hope you have happy baking at home and we have a chance to try your cake on next time.ok!

Becky said...

Hi Margaret,

Your kuih lapis is really nice. Your chilli prawn is even more tempting. Must really find time to cook it..ha..ha..

Mabel said...

Hi Margaret

The lapis looks so well done, looking at it you can know is nice to eat.

Chilli Prawn is instead very yummy, I made for my family and all finished no more gravy left, but I peel the shell of the prawn first before cooking, so that when eating is more convienient... hahha pampering my boys too much.

Can't wait for the recipe of the chilli crab. :)

Wow really go off so early hor if i am there i won't be the first to go liao hehehe.

ds said...

Margaret,

我也还没做过Fruit tarts叶,哈哈。。。 不是很喜欢那种很多cream的食物,所以没做,tart base倒是做过的。有机会会尝试的。

May said...

Margaret,

Your kueh lapis looks very nice and the layer is very even , very well done! And the Chilli prawn looks so appetising!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Hi Margaret

I will cook again with the shell on, this time... hehe...

Margaret said...

hi Joanne

I didn't bake a lot with my oven, so still haven't grasp its 'temper' yet... hahaha...last time I bake my kueh lapis with 220 degC found the heat too hot, will reduce to 210 (same as auntie Irene's) next time. So far has tried to bake chiffon cake, puff buns, kueh lapis and...macaron!! so far ok lah, still need to jiayou...

at times I did (call that brave enough) bring my produce for our master chef (auntie Irene) to sample and get her straight comments, good or bad, I also have to bag it, hahaha...no problem, hope next time have chance to let u try my home-baked cakes if I bake during weekends...but be mindful, I don't always get it right yo! heehee...

btw, I did visit your blog last night and have wanted to leave comment there but encountered bloggers error during posting... I have seen your beautiful kueh lapis, u have done well!

Margaret said...

hi Becky

thanks for your compliment, in fact the credit goes to auntie Irene's new oven this time and her guidance...ya, the chilli prawn is very delicious and appetizing....u can dip the sauce with bread too, really good, u really must try to cook it... it's not spicy enough for us....

hi Mabel

thank you for your compliment too!
Yeah, I saw that you have made a shelled Chilli Prawn! hahaha...perhaps next time u may like to cook with the prawn shells on coz according to auntie Irene, the shells help to retain the natural sweetness of the prawns...u can appreciate it better by sucking the sauce from the prawn head and the shells, then the prawn... I do agree it's easier to eat without shells, and u are indeed pampering your boys lah...heehee~~

u will love the chilli crab as much as you like the chilli prawn :p~~~~ see, someone saliva drooling liao...hahaha....

1st time go off from auntie Irene's house so early...

hi ds

原来你也没做过Fruit tarts呀,希望有机会尝试做做看。。。 我和你一样,不是很喜欢那种很多cream的食物,会吃不过会少量的吃。。。

hi May

thanks for your compliments, i also think so...hahaha...beside me, somebody out there would be happy to hear it too!
you have to try to cook the Chilli prawn for your family, it is very appetising and delicious!

hi Sharon

...good girl..hehe...

L-5 said...

Margaret,

So your Chilli Prawns became the "Centre of Attraction", right?

Looks so nice and so much gravy.

Cheers
L-5

Margaret said...

hi L-5

hahaha...ya..almost! thanks again for your suggestion. Other colleagues also bought nice famous barbeque chicken wings, satays, sushi, ice-cream... from some famous stalls in Bt. Timah, Beach Rd....

My colleague, who is also a part time professional photographer, acceded to my request and took a few shots of the chilli prawns with the 'umbrella' lighting in position...but still haven't got it yet, coz he is too busy to process it.

About Me

My photo
an ordinary Singaporean lady beginner in baking